Sunday 7 April 2013

An Interview with Charlotte Campbell

This article can also be found on Media Gateway.

Charlotte Campbell's PledgeMusic campaign for her debut album, Blue Eyed Soul, has been going from strength to strength since its inception. With just under two weeks to go until release, and almost 600% of her initial target raised, I reckon it's safe to say that she's doing pretty well for herself!

She very kindly agreed to an interview with me about her album, her inspirations and working as an independent artist in the music industry.

You’ve been singing for as long as you can remember; what's your earliest musical memory?

My earliest musical memory is watching my dad play the piano and learning Twinkle Twinkle Little Star because my dad put stickers on the right notes! Also singing on long journeys to Wales with my Grandparents; show tunes were a particular favourite!

Having started composing your own material from the age of 15, what things have helped to inspire your music over the years?

I think teenage crushes and love and heartbreak were my first inspirations, and I really just wanted to get all my feelings of anxiety and injustice out in the open. But as I got older I realised that that doesn't necessarily make for interesting song-writing, and started to really analyse why we connect with certain lyrics and how to create something heartfelt but also universal.

What is it about music that has made it such a driving force for you?

My family have always been very musical so it's been an important part of my life since I was young, and as I grew up I saw how much emotion can be expressed through music and writing so it has kept me strong in hard times, and always gives me something to work towards and achieve. It's also basically the only thing I've ever been good at...I wasn't good at sport and my drawing skills are something to be desired, and I was not very intelligent at school, but was good at singing and so I worked hard at it.

You’ve been recording the majority of your music from home; what has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced producing your material independently? (I’ve spelt that indepentendly no less than three times now. I think I need sleep, or spelling lessons. One or the other.)

Yes I have! To be honest it has been a lot of fun for the most part! The biggest challenge is choosing which direction to go with in terms of production! There are just so many options...Do I want it to be a country barn dance type track...or perhaps this is a heavy rock ballad I'm going for...? But in the end I just want it to sound like me, which is where my independence has been a blessing because the album sounds just like me, because I made it all! Saying that, I've had a plethora of help from my band (Ideawake) who have done all the drums, electrics guitars, bass, strings and mixing and I know it's been a struggle for them putting up with me! Everything is just a little bit/not quite enough spangly/stompy/squinty, or other words that I make up to describe something indescribable...They have been real troopers through this whole thing and I owe them a lot!

You’ve been following this dream your whole life. How does it feel now that dream has become reality, and your debut album, Blue Eyed Soul, is soon to be released?

I'm obviously VERY excited, (and a little nervous!). But it's strange because the dreams I had were never like this, because you never think that this kind of thing is possible. My dream was to sort of get a big record deal and make an album, but with technology and the music industry the way it is, making an album yourself is really the way to go!! So I'm quite proud of myself for growing up, seeing the state of the music industry and forming a plan of making my dream come true without the middle man. I think it's the general view that you can't make an album until you get signed to a major label, but I implore all musicians to just go and get on with it! You don't have to wait around your whole life to make a dream come true!

What has been your key inspiration throughout the production of Blue Eyed Soul?
Are there any stories behind the songs on the album?

My band are my biggest inspiration to get on with the album...Mat, Mark and Chris convinced me that I was capable of doing this myself and that they would be behind it all the way. I don't think I'd have got on and done it without them! I'm currently studying song-writing and write around 3 songs a week as assignments... Most of them have gone straight in the bin, but the briefs they set out have brought out a whole other side to me that I've really explored on Blue Eyed Soul. My favourite song on the album is about following your dreams, but I wrote it when I was really feeling constricted about my music and whether it's a viable career choice; the song kind of asks how far can we really chase our dreams, because you can aim for the sun but it'll burn you when you reach it. That's a favourite of mine because I think the lyrics express how I felt about releasing the album. And yes, it's definitely worth it.

Have any other artists had an influence on your music?

Throughout the whole album mixing I keep saying to the boys "Can we just make it sound like Colbie Caillat please?" - so mostly her. But I love my band because they bring a lot of different sounds to the table and a lot of genres have been suggested - making every song sound unique.

If you had to pick your top three songs from the album, what would they be and why?

Feathers and Wax is one I mentioned earlier. But I think I'll let everyone make their own judgements!

You received an incredibly positive response on PledgeMusic, with 100% of your target raised in just 4 hours, and it’s continued to grow exponentially (two weeks until release and almost 600% of the initial target).
What was your first reaction when you hit the 100% mark?
And how does it feel to have this much support backing your project?

I was honestly nearly crying at 100%! I was running around the room and making strange noises, and also reassessing my 'target' and sitting down making a new plan for expensive microphones! I think the best thing about reaching 100% so quickly was that people actually wanted to buy my album, and that was what got me so emotional!

What has been the most popular incentive among pledgers?

People have been really keen on the Old EP 'Stay' as well as the Blue Eyed Soul hard copy. I think because I have never made 'Stay' available as a hard copy before, people wanted a copy and I was chuffed that people still wanted the old songs!

Looking back on your career, what have been the highlights for you?
What hopes do you have for the years to come?

I will never forget opening my letter from the BRIT school and also seeing my name on the list for a set at Glastonbury. They were movie moments for me! But I have high hopes for more festivals and more albums!

---

Charlotte's Blue Eyed Soul campaign comes to an end on the 13th of April. To support the release of her debut album and get your hands on some additional incentives, check out her PledgeMusic page here.
You can also find out more about Charlotte on her website, and subscribe to her YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment