Friday 15 April 2011

Writer's Block and I

This article can also be found on Step2Inspire.

I’m a writer. More prominently, I’m a blocked writer. One of the primary tenets of writing is simply to write what you know, and seeing as my mind cannot conjure up anything more inventive, here it is: Writer’s Block.

Writer’s block is by far one of the most common blights to plague a creative mind, descending on the victim like a blank veil, completely impeding the artists ability to be creative. As I sat in front of the computer, gently swilling a glass of sauvignon blanc, the smooth aromatic smoke from my cigar filling the room and the lilting piano chords of Phillip Glass‘ Metamorphosis One drifting from my speakers, I attempted to resume writing the script I’ve been working on for a while now. I spent a good half an hour staring at the white void of Microsoft Word, that ever-expectant cursor blinking patiently as it awaited my first clumsily typed word of the day.

As time ticked by, my efforts turned to apathy, my Word document to an episode of Caprica (fantastic spin-off series of Battlestar Galactica, highly recommended!), and any motivation I initially had by now had become an overwhelmingly compelling desire to either trawl YouTube for undiscovered wonders or to simply turn on the PS3. I’m no stranger to writer’s block, it frequently visits me like an unwanted friend you just can’t get rid of and once they leave you seem to have much less alcohol than you did before their arrival. This instance was no exception.

A while back there was a discussion on a creative writing forum I used to frequent, dedicated to writer’s block and how people attempt to rid themselves of it. I found it quite an interesting read, as everyone seemed to have their own form of cure for the accursed lack of creativity.

1) Make a sandwich. Whilst this may seem trivial, taking a step back and making a sandwich whilst thinking about your writing can be a useful way to help the flow of creativity. Plus, lunch.

2) Watch TV/Play Video Games. Sometimes an idea from somewhere else can generate a spark of inspiration. Alternatively, it can distract you from the stress of not being able to write, allowing ideas to flow more freely and come to you as and when.

3) Listen to music appropriate for what you are writing. Music always helps create an ambience, and if you can find the right piece of music for your vibe, whether it’s you as a person or what you’re writing, it should certainly help inspire you.

4) Go for a drive. There’s something very therapeutic about driving, and several writers I know have been flooded with ideas whilst out for a drive. It will also provide you with a change of scenery, which will get your mind out of a stagnant and uninspired routine.

5) Go for a walk. As with going for a drive, it can provide you with different surroundings. Fill your lungs with fresh air, and wander about for a bit - it can aid your mind in thinking clearly.

6) Exercise. The next step up from walking. An active body leads to an active mind. Scientifically speaking, endorphins help stimulate the brain, and with increased neural-connectivity will come increase creativity.

7) Relax. Take your mind off of the subject for a while, give yourself a break, and come back to it later. Do whatever you find relaxing and the inspiration will come when it’s ready.

At the end of the day, I concluded, it all comes down to not working your brain too hard, taking your mind off of the writing and get a change of scenery. Inspiration has a funny way of striking when you least expect it, be it the middle of the night, out walking in the park, or simply making a sandwich - the less you concern yourself with the block and the more you relax, the easier the creativity will flow. As writer’s block doesn‘t have an objectified and quantifiable cause, there‘s no magic cure for it that will work for everyone. Everybody has their own muse, their own methods of relaxation, unique ways of combating writer’s block, it’s just a matter of finding what works for you.

Personally, I find a strong coffee, a book of sonnets and tickling my chin to stimulate new thoughts works a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment